Lakedown Brewing Co. (www.lakedownbrewing.com) is a new family-run, independent microbrewery and taproom in rural East Sussex, creating modern and traditional beers in can, bottle, keg and cask.
Named after the scenic, spring-fed lakes that Roger Daltrey of The Who built in the 1970s as a peaceful oasis to escape the mania of touring (www.lakedowntrouthfishery.com), this rural family farm and fishery is at the heart of the brewery’s story, as the location that inspired Lakedown Brewing Co., and home to their taproom bar.
In the ever-evolving world of craft beer, Lakedown Brewing Co. aims to create delicious, honest brews to go back to time and again.
The range includes six refreshing grain-to-glass beers that celebrate flavour, simplicity and quality of ingredients. The team brews with passion, and they brew for everyone.
The flavour-forward beers are designed to appeal to all, from complex bitters to refreshing pale ales, combining age-old methods with contemporary brewing equipment for both modern and traditional beers.
Lakedown Brewing Co. range includes:
- Pilsner (440ml, 5% ABV) The Lakedown Pilsner is full of the finest Saaz hops, German malts and the very best Bavarian lager yeast. It is fermented slow and steady to give it a beautifully refreshing and perfectly crisp finish. Gluten free and vegan.
- English Pale (440ml, 4.2% ABV) The Lakedown English Pale is the brewery’s most sessionable beer yet, blending the best of British with American style. It’s a modern Pale, loaded with English Cascade & Ernest then dry hopped for an aromatic finish. Gluten free and vegan.
- Pale Ale (440ml, 4.2% ABV) The Lakedown American Pale Ale is packed full of the finest Cascade, Chinook and Citra hops. It has been created to be a sessionable, easy drinking sip after sip of west coast sunshine. Gluten free and vegan.
- Neipa (440ml, 5.3% ABV) The Lakedown New England IPA is crammed full of the finest Citra, Mosaic and Centennial hops, with a wonderfully tropical aroma and punchy, fruity flavour. Vegan.
- Best Bitter (500ml, 4.4% ABV) An all-UK belter that’s brimming with biscuity malts. It’s a proper best, using UK Pioneer, cascade and Jester along with local malts and yeast. Seven of the best grains are blended to make the Best Bitter, the best it can be. Store upright and pour gently. Gluten free and vegan.
- IPA (500ml, 5% ABV) The Lakedown IPA is a full-bodied transatlantic fusion that blends the traditions of English IPAs with New World American hops. Centennial and Mosaic join Jester, a new UK hop giving this beer a rich, fruit aroma and satisfying bitterness. Vegan.
The company uses carefully sourced, quality ingredients and allows the beer the time it needs for a deliciously full flavoured brew.
Lakedown Brewing Co. is the brainchild of brothers-in-law Jamie Daltrey, Christopher Rule and Des Murphy.
The Founders say “Lakedown Brewing Co. offers a range of full flavoured, modern and traditional beers in can, bottle, keg and cask. Our inspiration was Lakedown, our family farm in East Sussex, a traditional hop growing area of the country, where we would often enjoy a post-work pint together.
“We wanted to create a local brewery that brought people together beyond Lakedown, celebrated the British countryside and made for easy drinking brews for people to enjoy time and again.”
Roger Daltrey says “Lakedown in East Sussex has been a passion of mine since I designed it in the 1980’s, as a rural sanctuary away from the mania of touring. Now my family – Jamie, Des and Chris – have launched Lakedown Brewing Co.
“They have turned me into a beer drinking convert because their beers are so easy drinking. And they have created a taproom for the beers on Lakedown itself, allowing anyone to book in and enjoy this wonderful place. There couldn’t be a more perfect spot to relax over a pint.”
Lakedown Brewing Co. has its very own rustic taproom at Lakedown Trout Fishery, which is an intimate and informal place for the community to gather, drink, exchange stories and enjoy the serene Sussex lakes and stunning countryside.
Set in the heart of the Wealden valley, with acres of rolling hills, woodland and four spring-fed lakes, and only 42 miles from London, the Lakedown taproom is truly a sanctuary from fast-paced, urban life.
The Lakedown taproom offers keg and cask beers from the Lakedown Brewing Co. range, served up with incredible views across the spring-fed lakes in the secluded Wealden valley. Bottled and canned beers are also available to take away.
Akin to a vineyard tasting room, the taproom will include locally hopped, as well as international styles of beer.
There is also al fresco seating by the lake’s edge for warmer days.
Instagram: @lakedownbrewingco / @lakedowntaproom